Wednesday, February 07, 2007

so cold


I am so looking forward to the LOST festivities tonight. I will enjoy looking at pretty people on the beach. I am not having fun in the cold. It is, at least, sunny today. So, I put my shades on to walk Bree. Don't want wrinkles now do we? I am like a mummy. Bundled into my scarf, sunglasses, hat--basically no exposed flesh. My breath actually fogged up the shades and then froze! It was far worse than spraying the windshield with solvent and watching it freeze as you drive down the road. My ears and toes are still numb. I would make a horrible Yuki-onna.

There is this ancient Japanese myth about a Snow goddess. In some of the stories she is just a ghost who has frozen to death in the snow and cold. In other versions she is an evil entity, like C.S. Lewis' Snow Queen. Remember the bitch from Narnia?(Gods! Tilda Swinton is HOT!) Similarly, this Yuki-onna is also always beautiful and serene, but she too, is often quite deadly to stupid humans. In fact she is often a vampire and seldom has candy involved. (Damn I could get down with Ms. Swinton and some gooey sweets!) Small glitch with Lewis here, but, the easy compare/contrast parallel continues when you consider how Edmund initially hooked up with the IcyOne. You see darling reader-- Yuki-onna will also reveal herself to humans who find themselves trapped/lost in snowstorms. She's also got her icy breath that she uses to freezedry wayward travelers. Hmmm, another comparison point. Other legends say that Yuki-onna purposefully leads her victims astray so they wander around aimlessly until they die of exposure. She will often manifest herself physically as snow or wind. She then invades people's homes, blowing in the wall with an icy blast of swirling snow, to kill the whole family while they sleep. Doesn't everybody check the door before they go to bed?

Does the European story of Jack Frost ever actually kill anybody?

hmmm...I wonder if Lewis studied Japanese mythologies--ya 'spose?(insert sarcasm) I am not implying any plagiarism on Lewis' part, but I did just see a new book discussing the influences many great authors have had. The Little Book of Plagiarism by Richard A. Posner. It was in the NYT Sunday BookReview. *LOVE IT*

So. I suppose I am thinking a lot about snatching others words. oh--let's say Shakespeare and his sources (in particular in ref to my HV!) If one has internalized a text so thoroughly that you have adopted it as your own--it is plagairism or regurgiation? If you chew properly is it bad? What about the 'net? (Did anyone hear about Dame Alys and the punkin pie? I'll bet ya'll don't hang out on the cooks list so much but Dame Alys is apparently a LOT older than we all thought! *giggle*) Proper references young ones! MLA all the way!