Monday, July 31, 2006

Confirmation

On my little Google Alert listy thingy (I am so techno don't ya love it!) I came across this lovely quote and figured I should share. Here's what you need to know:

Why "Henry V"?: "This play is a magnificent study in the wonderful, glorious, passionate rhetoric of war," says West, who's directing the production. "It celebrates battle and honors those who die for the cause without ever quite knowing what the cause is. Most of 'Henry V' - 99 percent of the play - makes all this war-stuff and God-stuff sound extremely attractive and, at times, stirring. There is, however, that blistering 1 percent that questions it all. It's that 1 percent that fascinates me, that makes me ask questions and makes me want to create theater."
Why now? "I love this play, love the way Shakespeare tells the story, a view of history with a very specific point-of-view," says West, who teaches theater classes at the University of Utah. "There's a bonus with this play - Shakespeare manages to not only give us a view of the English, but even a view of the French. And it has moments that are very funny, in the middle of the most brutal battles, there's humor. Why now? Well, it's always time for a good story, and unfortunately, stories about war are always timely."

A little touch of Harry in the night....sigh