Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Why I play in the SCA


Greetings friends--

I came to the SCA in an interesting way. I got an email from an old friend (who had moved from Lansing to North Dakota!!) which read simply "David won Crown Tourney!" I knew enough from being her pal that this was big stuff. This was that crazy camping thing they did on weekends. So we toddled off to a Boy Scout Campground in Wisconsin to watch them get "crowned". Once we got there everybody was so sweet and kind and helpful and the interesting things they were doing...amazing---"You made that by hand??" so Fina asks me if I will retain in court for her. Not knowing any better I said yeah sure... somebody explained to me just stand here and be a shelf...ok I can do that. I had the best seats in the house. It was like theatre but interactive. It is like a sporting event but personal. I made some massive social faux pas (sorry Midair..I know *now* that It is freaking awesome to be "just a squire") and I learned fast. The thing that won't leave my soul from that day four years ago is the magic and the inspiration. When I witness first hand the birth of a Kingdom (LONG LIVE NORTHSHIELD!!) or just walk past a perfect campsite (no mundane anything showing anywhere) it just fills me with a pride and sense of community that is pure and good. I like it. I like it alot.

Yours in service,
Lady Daeg ingen Aeda
(mka Day or Wendy Gouine)

Mes pieds sont dans Cynnabar mais mon coeur est dans Northshield.