Saturday, September 23, 2006

Further adventures in Sausage making


This afternoon we drove to Penzeys to stock up on Foxpoint and Galena Street (two awesome spice blends that are delish--see link at left!) While we were there I sniffed Smoked Spanish Paprika---ooh baby. Yum-o-rama! Of course considering our paprika fetish we pounced on it. On the 40 minute drive home DH and I decided that today would be a lovely day to try switching out some factors in the Kolbasz recipe. There is definitely beef. Jeff Smith said so. I guessed it and now we confirmed.

Today we went half pork shoulder and half ground beef-- sirloin. The mouth feel was sooo much better. But I really have to stop thinking high end ingredients and get my head wrapped around the peasant food thing. So, today we also used powdered garlic instead of fresh and that seemed right. I am also sure that ground chuck is the answer, the sirloin was too dry. Uncle Steve's kolbasz has about an inch of orange/paprika tinted fat rendered into the pan. This batch was too dry. So, thumbs up on the smoked Spanish Paprika ( BUT not for kolbasz--too mellow-- it was uber tasty just not for HUNGARIAN snausage) and the garlic and the beef. I think I have a recipe that will impress the mom-in-law. Must do another run before Punkin Day.

PS--That garnish is my last tomato. I fried all the green ones up yesterday. Summer is over.