Monday, September 11, 2006

Kerrytown Bookfest



Kid torture! The retribution for somethings will never be known until the kidlets reach adulthood. Thankfully, Matt seems to be functioning at 'above average' so I must have done something right. Thus, I feel justified in dragging the kids to what could be perceived as one of Dante's rings, at least for them! *I* was in heaven! The theme for the Antiquarian Book fair this year was Miniature Books. EEEP!!! Tiny little volumes, perfect in every way! Their itsy little bindings..the exquisite art on perfect pages. The epitome of what I find "cute". NOT kitty cats, NOT baby booties...just these magnificent little books. Randy, (Sir Ranthulfur for those of you constant readers who speak SCA) is of course now teaching at Hollanders, had a beautiful display of his work right outside their door. www.hollanders.com

But the bulk of the fair was outside. Including the kid's activity tent (check out my photo album link if you want) which coupled with the incredibly amazing grandma we borrowed allowed me a good hour to cruise around and drool. I think besides the Shakespeare sonnets and individual plays...oh there was a tiny herbology of the flowers he mentions. That is actually a whole subset of geekdom. The Shakespeare Garden people. Someday I will be one of them--perhaps post-Bree. Anyway the best miniature that I saw was Edgar A. Poe's poem 'The Raven'. The brown leather cover had a raven cut out with black endpaper underneath. $90! ouch

Pete did spend $20 on a little book that the text was a fold out map (woodcut! print) of Budapest. very cool.

I wasn't the only bibliophile entranced that afternoon. We kinda hooked up with Carol (fellow bookgeek) and her crew (thus getting to borrow Zander's grandma! THANK YOU!!!) Isabel and Carol's niece Tessa were instant chums. Izzy is in fact kinda in withdrawal. I am glad they had fun. Most of the pics at the homepage are of them!

The guys all headed to hear Jeff Mallet and Dave Coverly speak. www.comics.com. They both are Michigan comic artists and it was actually really cool to listen to them; because they kept drawing comparisons between narrative writing and comics telling a story that I found very encouraging. I only have like 8 more pages to hit my 200 page goal. I guess I should qut blogging and get to work!