Monday, August 21, 2006

Dead Jellyfish



Several years ago Pete was taking a class at Harvard. Zoli was about 9 or 10 months old (okay-- so that would tell you it was ten years ago not several!) and he and I learned several things on that long ago trip, one thing we learned was that strollers and Public Transportation are not necessarily compatible. We also learned (at the Boston Aquarium) that jellyfish were amazing and prettiful creatures. There was a floor to ceiling tank filled with glowing white jellies. They were zen and peaceful. Floating like ballerinas. Isn't life astounding? Darwin. all that. I was under the niave impression that I LIKED jellyfish. I was horribly wrong.

Last week the fam (sans Matt) and I were lucky enough to set up base(ment) camp at dearfriends Lisa&Paul's as we did a quick explore of Long Island and NYC. On Monday morning we headed to Long Beach. The weather was stunningly perfect. The white sand was spotless. We encountered minimal intrusion by other hominoids as it was Monday morning--Lisa's quilting pal Nancy showed up with her kidlets and we spent the day trying to get my sorry ass into the surf. It was embarassing.

Normally, I would rank myself above average in the bravery department. Cool with snakes, heights are good thing for short people--no problem speaking in public (I could prly stand to be LESS brave here actually) and really..like the JRT doggies generally *think* I am bigger than reality. If it weren't for stoopid knee I would fight heavy in the SCA I know it. So, constant reader-- now that I have illustrated my "manhood" let it be known-- I love to swim. Summer swims in the Great Lakes since I was what 2? I swim in murky cow ponds complete with tadpoles, perch and snapping turtles. I have swum in incredibly deep natural springs. I once tried to swim in the Flint River--luckily more sober freinds lifted me bodily from that toxic stew--but I had never dampened my suit in saltwater. I was beyond excited. "They" say you are much more bouyant. The waves this morning were ripe for body surfing. They were huge! I was so impressed. Lisa and Nancy both laughed. Apparently these were lame-o waves. In fact, the water was so "calm" Nancy was afraid her surferboy 15 year old down the beach would want to go home. Well, these waves were bigger than Lake Michigan waves in a thunderstorm! I was ready for this. Drop off lunch, water bottles, toys, towels-- all things toted by parental units--lose the sari and hurry to catch up with the kids. STOP.

Isabel had of course hit the water first; little mermaid that she is. Except that the Ocean had hit her right back. A big wave crashed her over and she got a rude introduction to sand, salt walter and dashed expecations. There stood my little Daughter of Northshield, normally tough as nails (if slightly dramatic) making the wierdest noise I have ever heard emminate from her 40 lb body. It was definately a distress signal. But it was confused. It had damp sand clinging to its eyelashes which were glued with stinging salt water. It's face showed visible sand rash. It was blindly flapping arms up and down and in an octave that translated anger, fear and mistrust yelling MOOOOOOM! Half a bottled water later--Girl meet Ocean. Ocean meet Girl... shake hands..play nice... very good.

Now back to me. I waded out to my hips. The water temp was acceptable. Refreshingly chilly. The foaming surf was white and rich, nothing like this in South Haven. I needed to get out by the boys on the Boogie Boards. I had my eye on the Spiderman decorated board and I was gonna be surfer girl! Show those kids how the geezers play! Yee Ha!

WHAT THE %$#@! Sweetholymotherofgod I think A Shark just swam between my legs. Or a Moray Eel. What was that? "Self" I said to myself--"quit screaming like a girl. Suck it up. It is the ocean! Of course there are living things in it. Lisa just showed you the seaweed. Go! swim... jump laugh..." SonofanAMITYVILLE EXIT RAMP!! What was that?? KEYRIST. Quickly, I
headed back to Paulie. A smart man dipped from head to toe in sunblock 45-- bemusedly watching from the safety of a surf chair. His toes nonchalantly kicking the ocean's lip as it creamily curled onto the sand. His eyes glued to his offspring. "Hey Paul? Are there a lot of big fish around here? I mean isn't it pretty busy with people and stuff? What do you suppose swam over my foot? He calmly and in Scienceguy/teacher voice recites a list of critters and seaweed species. Okay. I head back in.
I get about ankle deep and suddenly I visualize the scene in HBP where Harry looks into the horcrux moat and sees the rotted zombie hands reaching up to him. Something has grabbed onto the back of my calf muscle is gonna eat me. OUT! OUT! NOW! OUT! I can not identify "it" whatever it was and it sure as Hades isn't a bloody piece of fun to pop bubblewrap seaweed. I am pretty sure it is an octopus from a Jules Verne novel. Back to the Sand. Sand and Safe both start with "s". I like the symmetry.

Oh! look the cutegirlchild is playing with washed up jellyfish what a cute picture! They look like clear hamburger patties. Very cool...nothing like that in Michigan. Better get the camera. Whoa... those little suckers truly litter the beach. Each new wave crashes and recoils leaving behind one or two of the gleaming ice like discs. Those are really interesting. They must really get flipped around alot--they are so..harmless. Nina shares a story about how everyday something different washes ashore. One previous trip her day was ruined by several Brazillion tiny clams. They filled the beach with their sharp little bodies denying humans sure footing or a comfy seat.

Back into the water. This time I get to my knees. The waves are seductively insistant. The oceans want me to play. Tugging at me to go deeper, like a Jr High cheerleader on a date with the Varsity quarterback. Flirting with the power. I watch the boys on the boogie boards. I am envious-- that really looks like fun, and knee proof. I feel really connected to the earth. The sky is so blue. This is amazing. I have an incredible urge to dive straight into a wave and feel it all wash over me.

Suddenly, I see the Dead Marshes. Gollum and Aragorn tell me not to look down but I do and there are a hundred dead soldiers. All vacantly staring at me with their pale blue eyes. Their decomposed flesh and algae hair. AHHHH!!! Something just touched my butt! OUT! OUT! OUT!

Panting on the shore, terrified... I stand between my darlinghusband and one of my most trusted girlfriends. They laugh. They have tears running down their cheeks. Great. Newpal Nancy says come on... I'll go with you. We try. Not even with a grown up holding my hand I can't do it. There are ghosts of jellyfish swarming around my ankles trying to crawl up my legs. Now all my peeps are aware that Day can't do the jellyfish. It is sad. I join Izzy and lil Petey and Philly to make a huge sandcastle. It is at least four feet by four feet. We use the clear jellycorpses to make windows and striped watchtowers. It is a good day despite my obsessive fear of the inferi tentacles.

Wednesday night at Quilting..Nancy reported the next day was calm as napping toddler-- no strange creatures. Just beach. sigh.