Thursday, August 31, 2006

Real Community--Only 2 beers

AFTER BELLYDANCE--Our little sixway boulevard intersection hasn't been this busy since homecoming last year. Well I take that back. The current generation of Strollerbabies seem to do a lap in the evening, but I just wave at them. Last night society got personal. As daBug pulled into it's parking spot I couldn't help but see Gerry & Stacy with both of their kidlets walking up the sidewalk. They were returning from the Jr. High Band Open House at West Middle School. We all stood around yapping.

Pete appeared from the backyard.
I showed Luca how to shimmy in a dance belt. The boys got bored with the grown ups and drifted inside.
Isabel drifted out. Jennifer wandered by with her pupstars (one of whom is named Isabel!) Then daughter lost her mind!! She had been climbing in the crab apple tree and from her vanatge point she saw--glory to the highest!! Her peeps were approaching! Her squeals of joy (she seems to be doing that a lot lately. The squealing thing. I hope it is a phase that will quickly run its course) were echoed when Lillian saw her. Izzy clambered down from the tree and Lily broke into a sprint. As they reached their respective curbs all the grown ups yelled "STOP!" The momentum of little girls in full tilt magnetic mode is a powerful thing. They teetered, precariously balanced on the safety of the sidewalk, desperate to get to one another, knowing they shouldn't cross yet. Brooke, Sean, Lily & whoa that isn't Coco! That is Elliot! And Mary Nell! Brooke's mommy is in town! YAY!

I had a nagging feeling that I should invite everyone into the backyard for beers. But we only had two. I whispered to DH...How many beers do we have? Just two. I tried to remember how many bottles of white were in the rack. I knew NONE were in the fridge. Maybe ice tea? How quick can I get it made? Where is Martha Stewart when ya need her? Why do I not have all this prepared already? I wanted to move the conversation to chairs and snackies. I felt like I should be enabling the casual civic planning--new events, potential fundrasiers. ShadowArtFair 2 rumors. Pete could sense my frustrated hostess hormones. There was really good energy happening. This needs to be supported, but the sad fact was that after an hour of yoga and a hour of bellydance with no dinner...*I* needed support! I kept yawning. Leaning backward onto Darlinghubby. The sweat was starting to dry and I was getting chilly. I wanted to listen to all these great ideas, from a chair!

This is the embodiment of community that you just can't impose with 20/20 Task Forces.