Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Status quo wins big!


http://electionresults.ewashtenaw.org/aug2006/canvassreport206.html

Sat with Team Pierce last night.
It was odd. At 7:55pm it was an echo filled pub with yard signs scattered about. There was a T-shirt on the bartender which indicated to me that she had canvassed for Pierce. Previously my experience with closing polls has been limited to either counting ballots and witnessing envelopes getting packed like Phil Hartman was watching; OR-- I watched polls close ensconced on my couch observing CNN pounce on every percentage point. Kind of a sick Risk (tm) game as whole states swing one way or t'other in the Red vs Blue Patriot Games. Just 45 minutes after we arrived the place was packed with Pierce supporters. Who alternated between positive and upbeat to resigned and sad. Thank the goddess there was plenty of Pear cider. I really wanted a cigarette. It was that nervewracking. I was stunned to see that smokes in the vending machine are $8.50. The last time I bought smokes at a bar I was pissy because they were $2.75!
In vivid contrast to my sofa or Estabrook's cafeteria-- last night we waited. We waited for Piercepeeps at the polling sites to phone in the results. Every few minutes Pierce would smile nervously, excusing himself from the current thread of conversation. He would open his phone and turn away to scribble numbers on a bit of paper. Confer with his generals. No colorful pie charts. No glossy graphics. Then--anxiously-- we would all try to read his face from across the room. He was so calm and dignified. He announced his loss and pointed out...we ran a clean campaign.