Monday, August 07, 2006

liquid stone

My world got rocked a little further left last night. Watched a documentary titled Andy Goldsworthy's River & Tides. This guy is talking right to me. I am completely fascinated. So many parallels in composition despite the differences in media. Last night we were sure that Goldsworthy was the guy responsible for the fun Seussian sculptures we saw on the U of M diag back a couple three years but upon reflection, I am thinking that artist was Patrick Dougherty. Also--This morning I discover the Goldsworthy exhibit at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan is gonna be a roadtrip ASAP. Watching Goldsworthy's process...anticipating how time would affecting the installations. He embodied zen. I understand his words when he articulates that without the act of creation he feels hollow and rootless. I was amazed. I was even more taken with the product. His "work". His hands are so abused--the blackened and bruised nail beds--the blisters and scrapes. I admire anybody who can use a thorn or a sledge hammer and create such wondrous things that you gasp inspite of yourself. I need to see this stuff 3D. I want to run to Borders and get all his books. It is so stunningly beautiful and...temporal. Thankfully a photographic record exists. I am not normally a fan of modern art--but I am a deconstructionist and this man blends so many meanings. He is the Derrida of water.