Monday, November 06, 2006

memphis TN

This city is known for it's amazing music. This theatre is famous for blues. We saw the Handy Awards (like the Grammy's for Blues) here back a couple of trips ago. But this weekend was a little more mellow. The house band at BB's was a rocking funk band they played some classics including two songs that are guaranteed to get me on the dance floor--Brickhouse and Play that Funky Music. I tried out some of my new bellydance skills-just slipping them in where they fit. Couple of guys bought me drinks--that was fun. Gretch, Smokey and I had a lot of fun snarking on white folks who can't dance-- no matter how drunk they are. Really it is kind of embarrassing--you know the white guy shuffle? Girls in heels shouldn't do that--not so much.
Found a new CD--you know me wherever I go funky little indie bands appear--This month's special selection is one of three volumes called Fried Glass Onions. Check out insidesounds.com if you are really interested--it is a bunch of blues artists doing the Beatles--right up my alley. I picked up mine at the Center for Southern Folklore where we did NOT get to see Daddy Mack play.