Monday, November 13, 2006

Turnips & Lutes or return of the bomb

Sometimes things tell me directly--a moment will occur and I will understand that this is a bloggable thing. It maybe an obsessive reaction to a book, a film or a news article. Maybe a new band entered my realm of consciousness and i NEED to SHARE!! Or maybe, a brilliant friend--(a certain Queen of Milwaukee) will mention that she enjoyed a new album... and then as fate would have it another friend stretches to change the background music at her garb workshop and lo and behold I need to be downloading some music! It seems one of my favorite "stingers" has done it again. Songs from the Labyrinth Which should not be confused with David Bowie's wonderful film The Labyrinth which does have a great soundtrack but I digress--of course--isn't that why we are here? Oh freakey darling imagine my knees turning to jelly (I know not a difficult task) when Sting's ubervelvet voice slides around my spine... I do humbly beseech you... SIGH
Okay the new Sting album explains the lutes but I'll bet somebody is wondering why I mentioned turnips--consider a bleu cheese gratin. NEW RECIPE ALERT!! Creamy smooth and tangy all at the same time! I had never eaten turnips before, at least not knowingly, and I had certainly never prepared them; but in honor of clan sisters who actively seek out new veggies I tried this odd little root. It smelled like radishes. I expected it to cook like a tater--hmm not so much-- 1 hour 45 at 375F and they were still crisp. The mouth feel was kinda like jicama. The kids ate them tho Izzy did pronounce them "terrible". Pete loved it but he will eat anything that is accompanied by bleu cheese. yes..you little smutmongers..anything...