Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Tom


I am a huge Tom Waits-head. His voice in all its gravel-ly glory goes right to my spine. This reaction prly has nothing to do with the fact that Pete made me a mix tape (remember those? Now kids share playlists) back in the day. I am sure I would have been arrested or at least institutionalized if not for that tape and the sense of calm and emotional support it gave me. It was all Rain Dogs, Small Change, ClosingTime and a little Van Morrison to mellow it all out. I don't know how many times that tape really saved me from a mental breakdown. Then..when I saw Tom in Chicago...well yeah. I still have the glitter in a little package. he was throwing glitter and screaming through a megaphone. F-ing brilliant. The way he side stomps his leg to the back beat. I later wrote a poem. I know Eric has one hard copy I don't know if I have an electronic file or not... have to dig around a bit.

The only other more significant musical experience in my life was Van at Guinness Fleagh, also Chicago, also Eric. Bowie's Serious Moonlight Tour was cool--So was Never Let Me Down--but Tom..well he is the shit.

Yeah so anyway Tom has a new album out. Guess what Pete is getting for Xmas!