Thursday, November 09, 2006

Tony & Cleo

Nicely done. I truly enjoyed seeing the RSC performance last night. The costumes were perfect. Suddenly I have this fondness for men in Roman Garb--better than kilts! Going in I thought perhaps the babe, Harriet Walters playing Cleopatra was gonna be too old, but then Patrick Stewart should up and they sizzled! Chris Jones of the Chicago Trib had this lovely paragraph which I shall share with my darling readers: "Harriet Walter's endlessly fascinating Cleopatra is no camp, gilded icon in the classic Elizabeth Taylor mode -- rather, she's a smart, decent, passionate woman who knows how to snare her guy, sure, but also offers her Antony a more burnished life than his sniveling Roman pals. But good intentions aside, she still turns Stewart's Antony into an unhappy man caught between two worlds and, by the second act, viable in neither. His descent is beguiling to watch."
mmmm good stuff