Monday, January 29, 2007

The end. (part one)



It is finished.

Saturday at Mistress Melisant's garb work day I finished the bomb. Honor asked me why I called this project "the bomb" and I explained that it had blown up both figuratively and very nearly literally at least three times. It seems like nearly two years ago--I flew out to the cities (That is how we Northshielders refer to MSP) and got a crash course in how to look at patterns, and my sewing machine. I heard the words that my soon to be laureled Mairgreid SAID. I even took notes.

But that did not stop me from completely ignoring her sage advice and piecing together a black linen gown in (this is the sick part..) in the most 'efficient' way. I also thought I would be clever by just not adding the bottom add on part of the skirt pattern because I am short, seamed (get it SEAMed) fruitless to purposefully add on something I was going to have to hem off in a week. hmm..not so much.

When the first incarnation of this supposed cotehardie was finished It swirled very nicely. I slipped it over my head to find that one sleeve was centered nicely between my boobs and the other was under my left arm pit. I learned about fabric grain the HARD way. I then bought more of the same linen (thank you Trisha!) and started going to Melanie's work shops at EMU. Laid out new bits and cut them out and pinned them in and sewed them up. That all sounds very easy but the fact of the matter is no sooner would I get confident that I knew what I was supposed to do and move forward w/out Melisant hovering-- then I would screw up and have to pull it out and do it again. Serging the bits made no sense to me until I had to adjust the armpits. Then the tangle of pube-like threads from un-serged pieces was frustrating enough that they about made me cry.

Finally it is a wearable garment. It has some wonky moments and a few extra puckers here and there, but these are the best sleeves I have ever done. I am quite pleased with the beaded sash. The buttons are still staring at me. BUT! Technically the reason for this blog is caput.

Remember back when I started this blog? Well, on Valday. I will have somebody take pics and that will be the end.