Thursday, January 18, 2007

Neil's dad--or don't read this

Between the two of us Petey and I seem to have a funeral every other week since Xmas. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Can you SEE the sarcasm dripping?

One of Pete's oldest friend's, Neal also known as "wheels" to those of us who love him-- lost his Daddy. Pete opted for the evening memorial service and I stayed home with the chilldwen. I just could not do another funeral. It's a good thing I don't live in a war torn province in another country or I would just be a weeping pile of protoplasm. Death is too weird. Why all the freaking flowers?? Where do souls go? Do they dissipate? What makes a personality? (those of you dear readers with faith--just-- don't..okay? I need science.) The empty shell of a what used to be human and is now ...dust. I am not made to mourn this much. I was telling my buddy Ian that I was contemplating draping the house in Black crepe a la the classic Victorian style. Black Victorian reminds me..did you know amongst the famous people three deaths; Lily Munster bit it too?? her, James Brown and some other person Pete and Rick and Tim all knew. It is going to seem tangental but it really is related--been watching the HBO series Rome--it is really just a gory soap opera, but it is well written and has pretty people in it. There is also a lot of death. Quick meaty death.

One of the main characters reminds me of a kid I grew up with; Frankie. He was always very butch and very strait forward and had this very pure sense of justice. Very white or black, not a lot of gray zone. The Romans are portrayed this way, right /wrong, dead/alive, either you are for Ceaser or you are for Pompeii--No real analysis or contemplation. I have to admit getting one's head lopped off would be preferable to a slow cancerous death, dying from the inside.

Amy Sedaris had a moment in her recent book where she describes rabbits trapped above their own feces-- being devoured alive by fly larvae that hatch from the manure--horrible. There are other insects that do that some kind of wasp I think.