Monday, January 15, 2007

I don't even know where to start

I have had quite possibly the most eclectic weekend I have ever had in my life. My great (and I do mean GREAT) uncle passed away. He was 90. At his viewing Friday night my cousin Jackie had a copy of the Saginaw News which ran a trite little article that no one bothered to fact check before they printed it. That three hours was very sad and the trip reminded me that--hell I don't know how to say it other than--it was fucked up. I was not able to maintain my composure; despite the amazing role modeling of my beautiful and now widowed great aunt.

I saw a lot of a family I haven't seen in years--found out things like a cousin who will always be 12 in my mind-- is actually serving in the army (stationed in Germany thank the goddess), that I have a very cool new aunt who has helped keep the bird feeder full-- and there are more people in Vassar than I thought. My gran gives good hugs. It so comforting to lean on the bosom of one's elders and be petted, be told that it will be okay. I was in a funk to say the least.

That night karma balanced out and Maihgreid learned of her imminent laureling. That was such good news. She deserves it and I am so proud of her. I can't wait to see her elevation. Thinking about going seeing my friends (read chosen family) after such a huge (guilty) dose of my real kin was cleansing.

Saturday dawned gray and miserable and cold, happily it was warm in the sheep barn and Cynnabar did much to lift my spirits, and I had a lovely afternoon finally comprehending round robin, and making gatorade. Sunday Peter FINALLY got the news (2 1/2 months later--that he is still a brilliant type A doctorman (he passed his board re-certs) He was so relieved.

It was also Rollo's birthday and the surprise was perfect. We smashed about 20 people into their tiny little kitchen and covered our faces like we were playing peek-a-boo...so when he came round the corner there we all were with our faces covered yelling surprise. Then we feasted on hot wings and party subs and chocolate cake--the gaming began and there was beer and Harry Potter chatter. Now today it is MLK. and ice. I may still be in a funk. coffee. I need lots of coffee. Then I am gonna take the camera for a walk. The trees are beautiful in their frozen fairyland glory.