Monday, October 23, 2006

RSC Costume Crawl

They have ACTUAL costumes at the A2 Pubic Liberry. Now running thru November 11. The speaker has this deep baritone and a Brit accent. Twas LOVELY. The whole thing was WONDERFUL. Kenneth Brannagh's kit from the '84 production of Henry V. I about melted right there. Good thing Zoli was bored stiff so he could hold me up! I was pleased to see how similar Brannagh's costume for the film version mirrored this gorgeous outfit. What was surprising to me was what I assumed would be embroidery (ie the Actual HV's heraldric device) was metal plaques, like thin copper or brass pierced and sewn on. Wow. The gloves were quite sexy. Even for stage silliness. Prof. Lockheart's hand was in there..SWOON.
I couldn't help but remember the first time I truly saw professional level costumes. It was like '82 or '83. School trip--on a backstage tour in Stratford Ontario--I got to see Iago's boots. They were so...real and I don't know ..butch. I kinda got a little damp. The mundanties weren't so moist as the time I saw Viggo Mortenson's jacket from the LoTR films. That was AMAZING. I almost cried. At least they had Viggo's coat behind glass so dweeb's like me wouldn't touch it.
The exhibit also included some costumes from the comedies--bleh whatever-- Falstaff's Merry Wives get up. It was all beat to shit and scruffy but still the dag work on the sleeves. quite impressive. Vivien Leigh's (aka Mrs. Olivier!) Lady Macbeth cotehardie from the early '50s, despite it's papier mache cuffs was verra nice, and despite the nasty little librarian trying to beat me up (I had to explain that I was taking pics because I had forgotten my camera on Friday--then she left me alone.) Apparently they have a "privacy policy", well considering that about 50 people were taking pics on Friday-- I explained that she needed to shush up. I was on a mission--that was Brannagh's sweat dammit! I was getting a picture--despite their crappy lighting! If you would like to see Falstaff and Mrs. Olivier's gown check out my photo album. If you live in the area and are at all into costumes I would recommend checking out this exhibit. There are also two more bits: at the Hatcher and the Power Center they have costume art (drawings, designs etc) that is pretty damn spiff too!